FALL – Carkeek Salmon Search – Programs October 30 through December 8, 2023
The program includes a salmon dissection, a salmon life cycle game “Hooks and Ladders,” and a creek walk to look for salmon.
Registration will be tiered:
- open to SISS schools with 37% or greater low income from 9/11/23 through 9/17/23.
- open to remaining SISS public schools from 9/18/23 through 9/24/23.
- open to all SISS schools on 9/25/23.
WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE REQUIRES REPORTING NUMBER OF FRY RELEASED, RELEASE DATE AND RELEASE SITE. The release site should be the site that was permitted, unless permission to change has been given.
Access the release form here: Salmon in the Schools – Seattle 2023 Release Form. We gather additional information on the form to help improve our program for future students.
SPRING – Salmon Release Field Trips in Lake Washington (coho and chinook) and Carkeek Park (chum).
90-minute program at Carkeek Park or a near-you Lake Washington beach with up to 60 students; the program includes releasing salmon into the lake or imprint ponds and a self/chaperone-directed scavenger hunt through the park.
- 40 minute “assisted release” without the scavenger hunt for over 60 students.
- not bringing students on for the release, but want some support? Please reach out to Celina at IslandWood – email@example.com.
- Registration will begin in February 2024.
West Seattle schools
- West Seattle schools release in Fauntleroy Park. If a West Seattle school, you have been contacted by Judy Pickens (firstname.lastname@example.org) for release date.