Care and Maintenance

Care and Maintenance of the Tank

Salmon in the Schools – Seattle (SIS-Seattle) has been developing and collecting “best care and maintenance practices” since 2012.  Find them here: Care and MaintenanceALSO – CONSULT THE MAINTENANCE SECTION OF THE HANDBOOK.

Starting in the 2016-17 school year, the number of permitted eggs has been reduced in line with the smaller number of salmon returning to Puget Sound and statistics showing that schools getting fewer eggs find that being successful rearing their fish is easier.

It is difficult to tell when an egg has died.  This link to information developed by Columbia Springs might help you.

Difference Between the Tank and Stream

It is helpful to describe how we are trying to replicate the conditions in nature with the tank cycle.  Two presentations are available to illustrate the difference between fish growing up in the wild and in our tank: Nutrient Cycle and Wild to Tank Comparison.

Monitoring Aids

Some teachers have found the following forms useful to have in the classroom or posted by the tank:

Hatch Estimates
Monitoring Sheet
Large chart to mount near tank.  Use small adhesive dots for legend and student-placed data.

150 Fish Count

200 Fish Count

250 Fish Count

Purchasing Supplies and Equipment

We have created a list of items that would be required to set up the tank for raising your salmon. These are provided as information only. SIS – Seattle does not endorse the products or retailers.    Go to the list.  The exit fixture for the external chillers can either be purchased or made from items available at your local hardware store.  Click to see the AquaEuro Hookup instruction.

Chiller Repair

Call either Nancie Hernandez or Phil Sweetland if you are having problems with your chiller.  Financial assistance may be available for schools serving low-income students.  We have loaners available while your chiller is being repaired.  We are currently using Northwest Aire Services, Inc., 17800 Marine View Drive SW, Normandy Park, WA 98166 at 206-241-2657 or 206-356-7687.

Comments are closed.